WHITEWATER CANOE CLINIC -- Learn the paddling techniques, river reading and safety skills to enjoy canoe tripping on a wild river. In just 2 days, the rapids that were a barrier to the best places for wilderness canoeing will become your new playground. Our expert wilderness guides will teach you a paddling style designed to let you safely descend rapids in a loaded tandem tripping canoe. We’ll try out some more flamboyant moves just for fun.
Our classroom is Palmer Rapids - a popular spot on the Madawaska River in Eastern Ontario. There is a short, simple set of rapids to practice new skills and a longer more complex set for developing our new techniques. You can camp right at the site or stay at a local lodge or motel nearby. Saturday night’s dinner is provided along with canoes, paddling gear, instruction and camping fees. Many participants use this clinic as a whitewater warm up before one of our Arctic canoeing expeditions but no previous experience is required.
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
May 25 to May 26
Jun 08 to Jun 09
Jun 22 to Jun 23
Instructors 5:1 ratio
• whitewater canoes, throw lines, and other safety accessories
• paddles, paddling helmets, PFDs (you may bring your own)
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
Dinner on Saturday Night
Saturday Night Camping / Day-Use Fees
• guides, group gear, canoes, and equipment to and from trip rendezvous