Nahanni Canoeing and Hiking
Black Feather’s Nahanni Canoeing and Hiking trip combines two weeks of paddling in Nahanni National Park with an extra week of spectacular mountain hikes. You’ll reach special places few visitors to the Nahanni ever see.
We start our trip with a charter float plane flight into Island Lakes. A short paddle down a creek takes us to the Nahanni and on to Britnell Creek.
Caching our canoes and extra paddling gear there, we embark on a 4 day off-river hike to Glacier Lake and the ‘Cirque of the Unclimbables’.
Here several vertical granite walls, part of the Ragged Range, soar over 2,000 vertical feet. We scramble up above treeline and camp in an alpine meadow, surrounded by peaks and glaciers. Returning to the Nahanni, we load our canoes and head downstream through Nahanni National Park. This part of the trip is highlighted by fun class I and 2 whitewater, spectacular canyons, interesting day hikes up tributary canyons and exploring Virginia Falls. This trip is perfect for the avid canoeist and hiker with the time to explore more of the country surrounding the Nahanni.
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Jul 30 to Aug 19
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 19 nights camping
• 1 night at Lindberg Landing - Day 20
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 1 dinner to Day 20 lunch
• dinner Day 20 and breakfast Day 21 at the Lindbergs
• custom 17’ ABS expedition canoes with spray decks and knee pads
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• charter float plane flight from Fort Simpson to Island Lakes - Day 1
• shuttle of group and gear from Lindberg Landing back to Fort Simpson - Day 21
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to Fort Simpson
• ground transfers between Fort Simpson Airport and Black Feather Base / float plane
docks at the beginning and end of the trip