The ‘Whitewater’ trip is a three week canoeing trip perfect for the intermediate to advanced paddler. The Nahanni’s source is at the Moose Ponds - high alpine lakes surrounded by the lofty peaks of the Mackenzie Mountains.
We’ll spend our first week paddling the Rock Gardens, a stretch of 100 kilometres where the river drops over 2,000 feet. There are almost continual rapids, grade 1 - 3, with some noteworthy ones such as Initiation, Eye of the Needle and Hollywood to challenge the experienced canoeist.
The adrenalin of the Rock Gardens is addictive, adding to the excitement of exploring this remote part of the Nahanni. We continue downstream, spending two weeks paddling the canyons of Nahanni National Park. This part of the trip is highlighted by fun class I and 2 whitewater, spectacular canyons, interesting day hikes up tributary canyons and exploring Virginia Falls. The Nahanni Whitewater trip appeals to the confident paddler who is keen on a technical paddling adventure.
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Jul 03 to Jul 23
|$ 7,995.00 CAD|
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 19 nights camping
• 1 night at Lindberg Landing - Day 20
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 1 lunch to Day 20 lunch
• dinner Day 20 and breakfast Day 21 at the Lindbergs
• custom 17’ ABS expedition canoes with spray decks and knee pads
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• charter float plane flight from Norman Wells to the Moose Ponds - Day 1
• shuttle of group and gear from Lindberg Landing back to Fort Simpson - Day 21
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to Fort Simpson
• ground transfers between Fort Simpson Airport and Black Feather Base / float plane
docks at the beginning and end of the trip