The ‘Getaway’ is a perfect quick escape into Nahanni country. You’ll see the most spectacular parts of the Nahanni: Virginia Falls, Hell’s Gate, Pulpit Rock and the spectacular canyons of the lower river.
Starting with a float plane flight, landing just above Virginia Falls, we’ll begin our paddling with the whitewater of Fourth Canyon. Paddlers should be confident in class 1 and 2 whitewater prior to the trip, as the Getaway gives little time for instruction and coaching prior to being immersed in the fun of the whitewater.
We’ll camp by the river’s edge, and savour delicious trail meals. We’ll relax by the fire in the evening, watching the midnight sun play on the mountains and canyon walls. Although this trip is a quicker one, we will have time for a layover day to hike up a tributary stream or scramble to spectacular lookouts. Designed for those with time constraints, this trip allows the intermediate paddler to experience the magic of the Nahanni.
Recommended Skill Level And Dates
Jun 23 to Jul 02
Jul 21 to Jul 30
Aug 04 to Aug 13
Aug 18 to Aug 27
Guides 5:1 ratio
• 8 nights camping
• 1 night at Lindberg Landing - Day 9
• excellent trail meals and snacks from Day 1 lunch to Day 9 lunch
• dinner Day 9 and breakfast Day 10 at the Lindbergs
• custom 17’ ABS expedition canoes with spray decks and knee pads
• paddles, PFDs, throw bags, paddling helmets
• tents: free-standing, custom expedition dome tents - 2 per tent
• "kitchen": tarp, fire box, cooking stoves, utensils, dishes, etc.
• containers for food and group equipment
• first aid, safety, river rescue, and repair kits
• communications equipment (satellite phone)
• charter float plane flight from Fort Simpson to the Virginia Falls - Day 1
• shuttle of group and gear from Lindberg Landing back to Fort Simpson - Day 10
• transportation of guides, group gear, food, etc. to Fort Simpson
• ground transfers between Fort Simpson Airport and Black Feather Base / float plane
docks at the beginning and end of the trip